The government industry is one that SMCiS knows well, and happily continues to serve. SMCiS has many years of experience that lends its hand to continuing to better the technology infrastructure for our Nation’s government. SMCiS serves the government in ways that many cannot due to our capabilities for both structured cabling and outside plant construction solutions.
Featured Government Projects
- Maryland Department of Transportation (MTA) – Scope of Work: MARC train fiber connectivity for three MARC stations to include conduit installation via directional bore, installation of handholes, fiber and splicing.
- Arlington County, Virginia – SMCiS is a Master Contract holder with Arlington County, Virginia. Currently SMCiS is performing handhole replacement for the Connect Arlington project. SMCiS previously provided the Last Mile Construction of the county’s fiber optic network ring. SMCiS is responsible for constructing the fiber optic connection from multiple county office buildings, schools, and first response locations to the fiber optic backbone. This work includes inside and outside plant construction.
- The City of Bowie – SMCiS has constructed a fiber optic connection from the ICBN backbone to several assets within the City of Bowie. SMCiS scope of work included the Supply & logistics of materials, construction of conduit pathways, setting of handholes, placement of fiber optic cable, inside plant construction, splicing and testing of fiber optic cable and delivery of as-built documentation to the City of Bowie.
- State of Maryland Department of Information Technology (DoIT) – SMCiS is a Master Contract Holder of the State of Maryland Department of Information Technology’s Cable and Wiring Services contract. SMC, Inc. has constructed over 31 miles of underground conduit and fiber optic plant for the One Maryland Broadband Network through this contract. This work has been complete by directional boring and plowing as well as placement of handholes along the routes. SMC continues to support DoIT by providing maintenance to the infrastructure. This include fiber optic splicing, infrastructure relocations and additional tie in.
- Inter County Broadband Network (ICBN) / Howard County – SMCiS was awarded a construction contract to build the Inter-County Broadband Network (ICBN). This project consists of underground and aerial construction of a fiber optic network that was designed to provide a fiber optic connection to multiple state and local agencies, all public offices and first responders to a unified high-speed fiber optic network. The ICBN consortium was comprised of the City of Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, City of Baltimore, Carroll County, Harford County, Howard County, Montgomery County, and Prince Georges County in Maryland.
- City of Westminster – SMCiS was awarded Phases 1 and 2 of the City of Westminster, Maryland contract in 2016. Then in 2017, SMCiS was again awarded Phases 3 and 4 of the contract. We proudly completed this project as the prime contractor in its entirety in 2019. During this large-scale project, SMCiS installed over 32 miles of infrastructure for Phases 1 and 2. Phases 3 and 4 consisted of more than 28 route miles of additional underground and aerial fiber construction to serve almost 4,000 residences and businesses.
- NASA Goddard with SAIC – SMCiS provides NASA with MAC (Moves, Adds and Changes) of their communications infrastructure. SMCiS performs maintenance, installation of fiber, copper, and coax cables, cable splicing, terminations and testing, cabling for security, alarms, video and CCTV, and removal/replacement of underground plant.